b.27 July 1933 d.4 January 1999
MRCS LRCP(1957) BChir Cantab(1957) MA MB(1958) MRCP Edin(1961) MRCP(1962) MD(1968) FRCP(1976)
Jonathan Levi was a consultant physician and gastroenterologist at Northwick Park and St Mark’s hospitals. He was born in London, the son of David Levi, a consultant general surgeon. He was educated at Westminster School and then studied medicine at Trinity College and Westminster Hospital.
He held junior posts in the medical unit at the Westminster, as a lecturer at the Royal Free Hospital, and as a senior registrar at Central Middlesex Hospital. He carried out research on drug metabolism in liver disease under Sheila Sherlock at the Royal Free and spent a period in New York, where he held a Nuffield fellowship at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and discovered two significant liver proteins involved in bile and drug uptake.
At Northwick Park, he was instrumental in relocating St Mark’s Hospital to the site when the Medical Research Council withdrew. He researched over 100 peer-reviewed publications and his contributions included the clinical validation of diet as a treatment for Crohn’s disease, the realisation that suphaslazine drugs cause reversible male infertility, and the discovery that alcohol altered red cell morphology. He was an enthusiastic teacher, and also found time to act as chairman of the medical staff committee and as clinical director.
Although he was not religious, he was interested in his Jewish heritage. He had been close to establishing a direct family link to David Levi, George III’s tutor in classical Hebrew. His hobbies included photography, rearing sheep, planting trees, and collecting antique treen (turned wooden objects). He published a book on the subject shortly before he died. He married Mary Cartmel in 1964 and they had a son and three daughters, one a doctor.
[Brit.med.J., 1999,318,739; The Independent 2 Feb 1999]
(Volume XI, page 336)
<< Back to List