Lives of the fellows

Gerald Max Levene

b.3 October 1935 d.19 April 1995
MB BS Lond(1959) MRCS LRCP(1959) MRCP(1963) FRCP(1978)

Gerald Max Levene was a leading dermatologist and a senior consultant at the Middlesex Hospital, London. He was born in London, the second son of Sarah and Hyman Levene, the owner of a veneering factory. He was educated at Hackney Downs Grammar School and went on to read medicine at the Royal Free. He graduated in 1959.

He was a house surgeon at Whipps Cross Hospital and then a house physician at the Royal Free, where he later held a post as senior house officer in neurology and psychiatry. His first appointment in dermatology was as senior house officer at St John’s Hospital for Diseases of the Skin in 1963. From 1965 to 1966 he was registrar, then senior registrar, in dermatology at St Thomas’s Hospital. He was then a research fellow at Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, for a year.

On his return he was appointed as a lecturer at the Institute of Dermatology, St John’s Hospital for Diseases of the Skin, where in 1969 he became senior lecturer and honorary consultant. From 1972 to 1975 he was senior lecturer and consultant dermatologist at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School and Hammersmith Hospital, London. In 1975 he was appointed as senior consultant dermatologist at the Middlesex Hospital in London. He was also a civilian consultant dermatologist to the Royal Air Force.

His first book A colour atlas of dermatology (London, Wolfe Medical Books, 1974), written jointly with C D Calnan, became a best seller. His Diagnostic picture tests in dermatology (London, Wolfe Medical Books, 1986), written with Saleem Goolamali, followed in 1986. At the time of his death he was collaborating with Goolamali on an atlas of skin tumours.

He was honorary secretary of the British Association of Dermatologists from 1980 to 1985, and president of the St John’s Hospital Dermatology Society from 1985 to 1986.

Outside medicine he was an accomplished musician, and was interested in photography. He died from heart disease. He is survived by his partner of 20 years, Mary Watkinson.

RCP editor

[The Times 5 May 1995]

(Volume XI, page 335)

<< Back to List