b.10 September 1917 d.9 January 2005
MB Calcutta(1942) MRCP(1948) FRCP(1977)
John Herbert Pratt-Johnson was a consultant physician at St Ann's Hospital, Tottenham, London. He was born in Bangalore, India, the son of Charles Arthur Pratt-Johnson, an engineer. He was educated at St Georges College Mussoorie, India, a school run by the Irish Patrician Brothers. He went on to Calcutta University to study medicine. He then joined the Army, serving until 1946, for the final year as a medical specialist.
Following his demobilization, he was a house physician and then registrar to Paul Wood [Munk's Roll, Vol. V, p.456] at the Hammersmith Hospital from 1947 to 1948. He then became a house physician to J G Scadding [Munk's Roll, Vol. XI, web] and G E Beaumont [Munk's Roll, Vol. V, p.133] at the Brompton Hospital. From April 1949 he was an assistant chest physician to Philip Ellman [Munk's Roll, Vol. V, p.121] at the East Ham Chest Clinic.
In May 1955 he was appointed as consultant physician to the chest unit at St Ann's Hospital, Tottenham. He wrote papers on bronchial adenoma, tuberculosis, cardiac disease and carcinoma of the bronchus, among other topics.
At the time of his election to the College in 1977 he listed ancient history, geography, carpentry, metalwork, swimming, tennis and photography as his interests. He married Catherine Rickenburgh, a nurse, in 1951 and they had two daughters.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List