b.15 March 1934 d.19 November 1998
BSc Lond(1955) MB BS(1958) MRCS LRCP(1958) MRCP(1960) DObst RCOG(1960) MSc(1970) FRCP(1980)
John Lewis Francis was a consultant general physician, cardiologist and director of nuclear medicine at Stafford General Hospital. He studied anatomy and then medicine at London University, and had an outstanding undergraduate career, winning the class medal and the University of London gold medal in his finals.
He was a senior registrar at University College Hospital, London, and in 1971 became a consultant physician at Stafford. There he established the department of nuclear medicine, which he developed into a nationally respected unit. He lectured in cardiology and set up a successful department in non-invasive cardiology, including nuclear cardiology. He was involved in the management of the hospital. He was the unit general manager in 1985, clinical director for medicine in 1991 and medical director from 1995.
Outside medicine, he was interested in sailing. He was due to retire in 1999. He was married to his wife, Claire, and they had three sons (Simon, James and Jonathan). He died suddenly in Petra.
[Brit.med.J., 1999,318,673; Nuclear Medicine Communications 2000,21,597-599]
(Volume XI, page 206)
<< Back to List