b.30 January 1921 d.15 September 1998
BM BCh Oxon(1944) MA(1944) MRCP(1949) FRCP(1972)
William Stevenson Hamilton was a former chest physician in Oxford. He was born in Finchley, London, the son of Daniel Mackinnon Hamilton, the managing director of P&O, and Grace Rhoda née Stevenson, the daughter of a minister in the Church of Scotland. William was educated at Mill Hill School and then Oxford. After house posts in Banbury, he joined the RAMC as a general duty officer. He served in Palestine, Jerusalem and Tripoli from 1945 to 1947.
Following his demobilisation, he returned to Oxford, as a medical registrar at the Radcliffe Infirmary. In 1949 he was appointed as a senior registrar at the chest department at the United Oxford Hospitals. In 1953 he became a senior hospital medical officer in the same department and then, in 1963, he was appointed as a consultant chest physician.
He retired early, in 1978, being affected by arthritis due to haemochromatosis and ischaemic heart disease. In his retirement he continued to pursue many different interests, including painting, carving driftwood and ceramics. He also played the Scottish pipes. He married his wife Ann in 1949 and they had a son, Rhys, and two daughters, Sue and Cindy. He died following a second coronary bypass operation.
(Volume XI, page 239)
<< Back to List