Lives of the fellows

Arthur Philip Booth Waind

b.11 February 1915 d.4 January 2005
DSC MB ChB Leeds(1938) MRCS LRCP(1938) MD(1946) MRCP(1947) FRCP(1969)

Philip Waind was a private and very modest man whose lifetime was defined by exemplary service and dedication to his country, profession and family. He was born in Carshalton, Surrey, an only child. He never knew his father, who was killed in action in 1916 during the Battle of the Somme. In infancy he moved with his mother back to her native Yorkshire, where he was brought up in York and educated at Archbishop Holgate's Grammar School. He went on to Leeds University, graduating in 1938.

He held house posts at Leeds General Infirmary until 1939 when, at the outbreak of war, he enrolled in the Navy, a choice he is said to have made (over optimistically in the event) because he thought it would be safer than the trenches. He became a surgeon lieutenant. His first action in April 1940 saw his destroyer, HMS Hardy, involved in an attack on Narvik in Norway. The ship was shelled and badly damaged, and the crew were forced to abandon their grounded, burning vessel. Despite continuing attack from the German forces and having sustained a severe shoulder wound, Philip tended the injured aboard and got the severely wounded captain to shore, caring for him until he died later that day. The captain was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross, Philip received a Distinguished Service Cross for his courage and devotion to duty.

He next saw action later in 1940 in the ill-fated defence of Calais. His destroyer was supporting ground forces, but as the casualties on the beach mounted, he volunteered to be ferried ashore to attend to the wounded and dying, with little or no surgical equipment or medical help. He assisted with the evacuation of over 100 wounded men, but when his destroyer withdrew on Admiralty orders, he was left behind and taken prisoner. He was twice mentioned in despatches for his selfless action. Most of his time in various prison camps was spent as a doctor attending his fellow prisoners. He was a prisoner of war for four years, eventually being repatriated in July 1944. Sadly his mother died whilst he was in prison. Such was his quiet and modest nature, very few of even his longstanding colleagues know of his wartime exploits and the just recognition they received.

After the war, he pursued his medical career and quickly obtained his MD and gained his membership of the College. He held various registrar posts in south Yorkshire and during this time met his wife, Catherine (also a Leeds medical graduate), whilst she was his house physician. They married in 1949 and within a few months he was appointed consultant general physician in Barrow-in-Furness, where he worked until his retirement in 1979.

He believed passionately in the National Health Service, and he and his colleagues were very much the early pioneers of the service in Furness. He was a fine physician, much respected by his hospital and GP colleagues for his great diagnostic acumen, combined with a caring attitude towards his patients, clearly dedicating the same devotion to service as he had during the war years.

Apart from medical work, he also served the local community for many years as a member of the board of the Furness and South Cumberland Building Society, rising to the post of vice-chairman, and he was a past president of the local Rotarians.

He loved Shakespeare and reading history. He was not a natural sportsman, but greatly enjoyed a number of pursuits, particularly sailing, tennis and golf, and to a less extent fell-walking. Despite the prodigious professional workload he set himself, he was very much a family man and is survived by Catherine, their three sons and two daughters, and 14 grandchildren.

Malcolm Palmer

(Volume XII, page web)

<< Back to List