Lives of the fellows

Arthur Maurice Stewart-Wallace

b.30 October 1908 d.26 April 1998
MRCS LRCP(1931) MB BS Lond(1933) MRCP(1934) MD(1936) DPM(1944) FRCP(1964)

As a consultant neurologist in East Sussex, Arthur Stewart-Wallace effectively set up the neurological service for the area in the post war years. The son of Sir John Stewart-Wallace, he was educated at Haileybury. He later went on to University College Hospital, where he qualified in 1931. After early house jobs at UCH he became a medical registrar at the London Hospital. He then undertook his training as a neurologist at the National Hospital, Queen Square, between 1936 and 1939.

He served as a neuro-psychiatric specialist with the rank of squadron leader in the RAF during the Second World War.

In 1947 he was appointed consultant neurologist to the East Sussex area. He was based at Hurstwood Park Hospital, Haywards Heath, but, in common with most neurologists of his day, provided a consultant service to many distant centres. This involved an enormous amount of travelling. He was an excellent diagnostician in the days when imaging was non-existent and most investigations were invasive and potentially dangerous.

Arthur had numerous interests outside medicine. He was an avid reader and loved music. He had a lifelong interest in gardening and his own garden in Ditchling was a showpiece. He became a Sussex man and took particular delight in all that pertained to the Sussex countryside around his home.

He took up skiing in his twenties and became extremely expert at it, obtaining a British Ski Club silver medal. He continued to ski into his eighties and would train by going for long runs in the countryside around Ditchling. He also enjoyed sailing.

He married Helen Mary Schooling in 1939. He and Mary had two daughters and a son and they were enthusiastic parents and grandparents. They particularly enjoyed visiting their grandchildren both in this country and in Canada and South Africa.

His retirement lasted 24 years and he was fit throughout this period of time, indeed he celebrated his 89th birthday by going up in a hot air balloon in Nepal. Mary predeceased him by only three years. At the age of 86 Arthur learnt how to cook and look after himself for the first time in his life and he continued his wife’s tradition of entertaining.

Ironically he fell while out walking and died of a head injury at Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre where he had spent most of his working life.

John Rees

(Volume XI, page 555)

<< Back to List