b.? October 1918 d.? January 1998
MB BS Calcutta(1942) DTM&H(1946) MRCP(1950) FRCP(1975) FAC(1976)
Arabinda Bihari Mukharji was a distinguished cardiologist in Calcutta. He was born in the city, and studied medicine at Calcutta Medical College, Calcutta University, qualifying in 1942. He then gained his diploma in tropical medicine from the acclaimed School of Tropical Medicine, Calcutta, in 1946. He passed his MRCP in 1950 and became a Fellow in 1975. He subsequently became a fellow of the American College of Cardiology in 1976.
After returning from England, Mukharji initially joined Calcutta Medical College and Hospital for a short period. In 1955, he joined the cardiology department of Seth Sukhlal Karnani Memorial Hospital (formerly Presidency General Hospital) and the Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Calcutta. He was a teacher of the above institute and also an examiner of cardiology for Calcutta University. He later became a professor at the Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, from where he retired in 1978. He was also attached to the Calcutta Medical Research Institute and B M Birla Heart Research Centre.
He had his own clinic in Calcutta, where many junior doctors came for guidance on higher studies in medicine in the UK. He was an active member of the Cardiology Society of India. He used to take every opportunity to participate in medical conferences, particularly in the field of cardiology.
D K Mazumdar
(Volume XI, page 408)
<< Back to List