b.14 October 1913 d.15 November 2000
MRCS LRCP(1938) MA MB BChir Cantab(1939) MRCP(1947) MD(1947) FRCP(1961)
John Reginald Bignall was a consultant physician at the Brompton Hospital in London and a former dean of the Institute of Diseases of the Chest. He was born in Nottingham, the son of a hosiery manufacturer, and was educated at Nottingham High School, St John's College, Cambridge, and then the London Hospital. After briefly entering general practice in Arundel and Littlehampton in Sussex, he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps during the Second World War, and was posted to the Middle East, Algeria, Italy and Greece.
Following demobilisation he trained at the Brompton and at the thoracic surgical department at the London Hospital. From 1949 to 1951 he took part in the MRC's chemotherapy trials for the treatment of tuberculosis, and in 1951 was appointed a senior lecturer at the Institute of Diseases of the Chest, at the Brompton Hospital. In 1957 he was appointed as a physician at the Brompton. From 1960 to 1968 he was dean of the Institute of Diseases of the Chest.
From 1968 to 1975 he was chairman of the scientific committee of the International Union Against Tuberculosis. He was awarded the Weber Parkes prize from the College in 1975 and the Carlo Forlanini gold medal in Rome in 1974. He edited Tubercle from 1956 to 1978. He finally retired in 1979.
He married his wife, Ruth, in 1939 and they had four children. At the time of his election to the Fellowship of the College in 1961 he listed gardening, photography and fishing among his interests.
(Volume XI, page 58)
<< Back to List