Lives of the fellows

Harold Witcomb Everley Jones

b.6 December 1910 d.8 January 2001
MRCS LRCP(1934) MB BS Lond(1934) MRCP(1936) FRCP(1956)

Harold Witcomb Everley Jones, known to his friends as ‘E J’, was a consultant paediatrician in Wolverhampton, West Bromwich and Dudley. He was born in London, where his father was a consulting engineer. His mother was a musician. He was educated at Winchester House, King’s School, Canterbury, and then St Thomas’s Hospital Medical School.

After junior appointments at St Thomas’s and at East Ham Memorial Hospital, he was made a consultant paediatrician to Victoria Hospital for Children, Tite Street, Chelsea, in 1938.

He joined the Royal Army Medical Corps in 1939 and served in the Middle East, Normandy, Belgium and Germany. He received his OBE (military) in the spring of 1945.

Following demobilization he decided to settle in the Midlands. In 1947, before the start of the NHS, he singlehandedly set up a children’s service, involving Bridgnorth, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Walsall and West Bromwich.

In 1947 he was appointed a clinical lecturer in paediatrics at the University of Birmingham. In 1961, the university appointed him area director of postgraduate education. From 1968 to 1969 he was president of the Midland Paediatric Society.

He kept fit by cycling. As a student he had played rugby for St Thomas’s. A bachelor, he retired to north Wales. He died of cardiac failure.

RCP editor

[Brit.med.J.,2001,323,287]

(Volume XI, page 182)

<< Back to List