b.22 June 1938 d.16 Jan 2002
BSc NUI MB BCh MD MRCPI MRCP(1967) FRCP(1979)
John Francis Fielding was a physician at the Charitable Infirmary, Jervis Street, Dublin.
He was born in Cork, the son of a radiologist. He was educated at the Christian Brothers' College in Cork, and went on to University College Cork to study medicine. He continued his clinical training at St Finbarr's Hospital, Cork.
He held house appointments at St Finbarr's, Addenbrooke's in Cambridge, Central Middlesex in London, and Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham. In 1966 Fielding was a registrar, and then subsequently a research associate and temporary senior registrar at the General Hospital, Birmingham. In 1967 he became a member of the College. From 1970 he was a senior registrar at the Radcliffe Infirmary in Oxford. He was then appointed to the Charitable Infirmary, Dublin.
He wrote articles on inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome.
He married Judith Ann Spencer, a doctor, in 1969 and they had three sons and two daughters. At the time of his election to the Fellowship of the College in 1979 he listed golf, opera and music as his interests.
(Volume XI, page 194)
<< Back to List