b.18 October 1922 d.19 July 2000
BA Cantab(1944) MB BChir(1947) MRCP(1949) MD(1955) FRCPath(1967) FRCP(1972)
Andrew Douglas Thomson was a pathologist and physician in private practice in London. He was born in Glasgow, and was educated at Belmont Mill Hill and Stowe. He went on to Cambridge, and then Middlesex Hospital Medical School, where he held several junior hospital posts.
In 1948 he was appointed as a lecturer in pathology at the Bland Sutton Institute for Pathology at the Middlesex Hospital, and became a senior lecturer there in 1955.
He was appointed consultant pathologist to the Royal Masonic Hospital in 1962 and went on to become director of pathology services at the Hospital of St John and St Elizabeth, the Wellington, the Cromwell, and the Italian Hospitals, and the Churchill Clinic, as well as the Royal Masonic.
He wrote research papers on bone tumours and lymphomas, and his textbook, Lecture notes on pathology (Oxford, Blackwell Scientific, 1962), ran into several editions. He travelled extensively, lecturing in many European countries, the USA and Russia.
He married his wife Yvonne in 1948 and they had four children. He was a keen sportsman – he earned a ruby blue at Cambridge, was a county player and was picked to play for England in 1947.
(Volume XI, page 580)
<< Back to List