b.16 July 1920 d.25 May 2003
MB ChB Leeds(1943) MRCP(1945) FRCP(1969) MD
Oscar Magidson held an academic post at the University of Southern California and was director of the cardiology department at the St Vincent Medical Center. He studied medicine at Leeds, where he qualified in 1943 with first class honours. He received the William Hey gold medal, as well as many other prizes. Two years later he graduated MD with distinction, by thesis, and that year became a member of the College.
His early postgraduate training was at Leeds, followed by a two year spell as a medical specialist in the Royal Air Force, as squadron leader. After this he became registrar and senior registrar at the National Heart Hospital, under Paul Wood [Munk's Roll, Vol.V, p.456]. He then became senior tutor in medicine in Leeds, but was soon awarded an American Heart Association fellowship in cardiology at the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. In 1955 he accepted an academic appointment at that university which he combined with clinical appointments at the Hospital of The Good Samaritan and at St Vincent Medical Center, where he was director of the cardiology department.
In 1950, together with J M Barber and Paul Wood, he published a study of 62 patients with atrial septal defect, and defined the relation of findings at cardiac catheterisation to the heart sounds and the electrocardiogram. This was the first of 53 papers on cardiology, largely reflecting his extensive clinical experience. Magdison was elected a Fellow of the College in 1969, and was also a fellow of the American College of Cardiology and of the American College of Chest Physicians. He became a member of the British Cardiac Society in 1974. He retired as director of cardiac services at St Vincent Medical Center in 1997, and was well until three months before his death, when carcinoma of the lung was diagnosed. He is survived by his wife, Ruby, and one son.
Dennis M Krikler
(Volume XI, page 372)
<< Back to List