b.? 1920 d.25 July 1999
MB ChB Manch MD Rochester MRCP(1948) FRCP(1978)
Jeffrey Emmanuel Morris was a specialist in nuclear medicine, based in Winnipeg, Canada. He was born in England, in Manchester, and studied medicine there. He then went to the States, to the University of Rochester, New York, on a Rockefeller Foundation studentship. On his return to England he studied clinical pathology at the Manchester Royal Infirmary and was involved in the early trials of penicillin and streptomycin in patients.
In 1948 he went to Canada, to research vitamin C deficiency in babies at the Children's Memorial Hospital in Montreal. It was here he met Fern, a pediatric nurse. They later married in Knox United Church, Moose Jaw, in 1950.
In the same year Morris was offered a position at the Winnipeg clinic as an internist-endocrinologist and director of the clinical laboratory. He remained affiliated with the Winnipeg clinic until his retirement in 1992, not only as a practicing physician but also as the director of laboratories that had expanded to incorporate nuclear medicine facilities.
He taught in the faculty of medicine at the University of Manitoba, in the departments of biochemistry and medicine. From 1953 to 1955 his research in biochemistry was supported by funds from the National Research Council of Canada and the Winnipeg clinic.
Because of the importance of radioactive isotopes in the diagnosis and treatment of patients, he acquired specialist status in nuclear medicine. He subsequently practiced nuclear medicine in three hospitals in the city and was chief of nuclear medicine for some years at the Misericordia Hospital.
In 1979 Morris was asked to be one of the first examiners in nuclear medicine for students wishing to acquire specialist status from the Royal College of Physicians of Canada.
As a certified clinical chemist, an internist and endocrinologist, as well as being active in the specialty of nuclear medicine, he had a busy and interesting career. He was also involved in establishing and maintaining laboratory standards through various committees of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba.
He was active for many years as a member of a provincial drug and therapeutics committee instituted by the Manitoba government to assure that safe and effective drugs were made available to the public through the Pharmacare programme. He was also on the medical advisory board of the Manitoba Cancer Foundation.
More recently, especially since his retirement, he was on the board of the Manitoba Medical Service Foundation and for a period of ten years its executive director.
As a long time supporter of cultural affairs in the city, he spent many hours on the board of the Manitoba Theatre Centre and the Manitoba Chamber Orchestra.
He enjoyed fishing and gardening, and was an enthusiastic ham radio operator.
(Volume XI, page 406)
<< Back to List