b.10 June 1913 d.2 October 1999
BSc Wales(1936) MB BCh(1936) DPH(1939) MRCP(1946) MD(1947) FRCP(1962)
Arthur John Thomas was a consultant physician and cardiologist at the University Hospital, Cardiff, and a clinical teacher at the Welsh National School of Medicine. He was educated at the medical school in Cardiff.
During Second World War he served with the Royal Army Medical Corps, in the Middle East, Greece and Italy. He was mentioned in despatches and left the Army in 1945 as a lieutenant colonel.
Following demobilization he took his MD degree and passed his examination for the membership of the College. In 1947 he became a consultant physician to Landough Hospital, Penarth, and the Royal Infirmary, Cardiff, and a lecturer in medicine at the Welsh National School of Medicine. With the introduction of catherization he developed a catheter laboratory at Llandough Hospital. The laboratory was later used for research studies, as well as routine investigations. He was involved in planning the cardiac department of the University Hospital of Wales and moved the department there when it opened in 1971.
Thomas had a particular interest in pulmonary heart disease and this resulted in close co-operation with the pneumoconiosis research unit (MRC) at Llandough Hospital and the pathology department of the medical school. A lifelong interest in photography resulted in his developing the medical photography department at Llandough Hospital.
Golf was his chief hobby. He was a member of the Old Leys club and Dinas Powis, where he was captain and president. He was involved with the Royal British Legion and was a Rotarian.
He married his wife Rita in 1939 and they had one daughter.
A J Thomas
(Volume XI, page 578)
<< Back to List