b.28 December 1919 d.17 July 2003
MB BS Lond(1943) MRCP(1947) MD(1950) FRCP(1970)
Henry Clarke Hamilton was a consultant physician at Harold Wood Hospital and at Brentwood District Hospital. He was born in Portrush, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, where his father was managing director of a company. Hamilton was educated at Coleraine Academical Institution in County Derry, and went on to study medicine, qualifying at the London Hospital in 1943.
He joined the Royal Army Medical Corps in November 1943 and served for four years, until January 1947. During this period he saw service in the Middle East, Italy and in North West Europe and was an acting major, as second in command of a field ambulance.
In 1947 he returned to the London Hospital, as house physician, and subsequently medical registrar, senior medical registrar and then senior medical registrar in thoracic medicine.
In 1955 he was appointed to a position as consultant physician at the Harold Wood Hospital. In 1960 he became a consultant physician at Brentwood District Hospital.
At the time of his election to the Fellowship he listed golf, rugby, boxing and rowing among his interests. He was in the London Hospital rugby team and was welter-weight champion at Queen Mary College.
He married Norah Riley (née Tew) in 1943 and they had one son and two daughters.
(Volume XI, page 239)
<< Back to List