Lives of the fellows

Walter Essex Wynter

b.5 May 1860 d.4 January 1945
MD Lond FRCS(1885) FRCP(1897)

Walter Essex Wynter was the son of Andrew Wynter, M.D, who edited the British Medical Journal from 1855 to 1861 and practised at Chiswick. He went to school at Epsom College and was a medical student at the Middlesex and St. Bartholomew’s Hospitals. He qualified in 1883 and became an F.R.C.S. two years later. He then served in various junior capacities at the Brompton Hospital, the Hospital for Sick Children and the Middlesex Hospital, before being elected, in 1891, assistant physician to the last of these. He was made full physician in 1901 and consulting physician when he retired in 1925, having lectured on practical medicine, pharmacology and medicine. He was the author of A Manual of Clinical Pathology (1890) with F. J. Wethered, and published a collection of articles under the title of Minor Medicine (1907). Primarily a physician, and one with considerable diagnostic skill, he retained a practical interest in surgery. He advocated lumbar puncture, before this had become a routine measure, and recommended splenectomy in certain conditions for which it has since been accepted as a treatment. During the 1914-1918 War he was attached as a major to the 3rd London General Hospital. On retiring, he made his home in a derelict manor house near Newbury, which he restored with discreet taste. He became a member of the Newbury town council, and devoted his leisure to travel, to fly-fishing and to growing his own tobacco, which he was reputed to smoke green. A man of ample private means, which had earlier removed the necessity of cultivating a large practice but not his capacity for work, he gave generously to his old school and hospital, and founded a home for retired Middlesex nurses. Gentle, reflective, serene, Wynter earned the affection and esteem of his fellows. His wife was Ada Margaret, daughter of Samuel Wills, J.P, of Bristol; there were no children of the marriage. He died at Newbury.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1945; B.M.J., 1945; Middlesex Hospital Journal, 1945, xlv, 10]

(Volume IV, page 400)

<< Back to List