Lives of the fellows

William Henry Wynn

b.2 February 1878 d.11 June 1956
BSc Lond(1896) MB Lond(1901) MSc Birm(1901) MD Lond(1902) MB Birm(1903) MRCS LRCP(1901) MRCP(1905) FRCP(1922)

Born the son of Henry James Wynn, a goldcutter, and his wife, Elizabeth, née Aston, William Wynn in 1894 gained an entrance scholarship to Mason’s College from King Edward’s Grammar School, Aston. He had a brilliant student career, exemplified in his M.Sc, at the first graduation ceremony of Birmingham University when he was twenty-three. Three years later he was elected assistant physician to the General Hospital, and before he was forty he was a full physician.

At forty-eight he became professor of medicine and thereafter gave much of his time to teaching and administration, and was one of the small but resolute band who saw to fruition their plan for a new medical school and teaching hospital within the precincts of the University. These were the last great achievements of the voluntary hospital system. Wynn was a man of encyclopaedic knowledge, an all-round physician with a first-class knowledge of bacteriology, who inspired confidence by his unfailing consideration for every patient and his relatives.

He was on the staff of several hospitals in and near Birmingham, and his interest in pulmonary disease laid the foundations of an excellent tuberculosis service centred round the Municipal Sanatorium, to which, as to the Derbyshire Tuberculosis Scheme, he was consulting physician.

At the College he was an examiner, a Censor, 1944-5, and the FitzPatrick lecturer in 1948-9. In 1907 he married Florence, the daughter of F. B. Ashford. She was a fellow graduate of Birmingham. They had one son and two daughters. His hobbies were archaeology, gardening, fruit-farming and foreign travel.

Richard R Trail

[Birmingham Post, 12, 16 June 1956; Brit.med.J., 1956, 1, 1489; Lancet, 1955, 2, 1128; 1956, 1, 1019-20 (p); Times, 13 June 1956.]

(Volume V, page 464)

<< Back to List