b.2 December 1887 d.29 September 1946
MB BS Lond(1920) MD Lond(1912) MRCP(1913) FRCP(1941)
Stanley Wyard was born at St. Austell, Cornwall, to the Rev. G. L. Wyard, sometime owner-headmaster of Hasland House Private School at Penarth, and Sarah Anne Drew, who was a cousin of Sir Thomas Lewis and a niece of Professor James Sully, of King’s College, Cambridge. From his father’s school he went to the University College of South Wales, Cardiff, and then to University College Hospital, London.
In 1910, after house posts at the West London Hospital, he was appointed research assistant to the department of pathology and bacteriology of Leeds University, and in 1913 pathologist to the Victoria Hospital for Children, Tite Street, London. During the First World War he served in France as a pathologist with the R.A.M.C, and on his return in 1919 became physician to his hospital and a member of its Committee of Management.
Other appointments were pathologist to the Bolingbroke Hospital, 1914 to 1926, and assistant physician, 1926 to 1931, visiting pathologist to St. James’ Hospital, Balham, 1921 to 1933, assistant physician to the Cancer (later the Royal Marsden) Hospital, 1920 to 1946, and physician to the Princess Beatrice Hospital, 1931 to 1946. In World War II he undertook the extra duties of consultant to Hounslow Hospital and physician to the South Middlesex Hospital.
Naturally this left him little time for his hobbies of biology, photography and golf. As a first-class general physician, with acute clinical acumen founded on a deep knowledge of pathology, he was the leading clinical pathologist in the London of his day, and was regarded with affection by every colleague, who knew he would always give unselfish advice in consultations and in committees.
In 1914 he married Constance Enid, daughter of the Rev. W. R. Lloyd, of Llanddarog, Carmarthenshire. They had one daughter.
Richard R Trail
[Brit.med.J., 1946, 2, 557-8; Lancet, 1946, 2, 583.]
(Volume V, page 464)
<< Back to List