b.1832 d.19 April 1918
BA Oxon(1855) BM(1858) FRCP(1870)
E. T. Wilson was born at Liverpool, the first son of Edward Wilson of Hean Castle, Pembrokeshire. He was an undergraduate at Exeter College, Oxford, and graduated as B.A. with first-class honours in natural science in 1855. He studied medicine at St. George’s Hospital and in Paris, taking his B.M. degree in 1858, and a year later joined the medical staff of a branch dispensary of the Cheltenham General Hospital. In 1875 he became physician to the General Hospital itself; he remained on its active staff for the next thirty-one years. For many years he was medical officer to Cheltenham College and Cheltenham Ladies’ College and physician to the Winchcombe Cottage Hospital and the Cotswolds Convalescent Home. Although primarily a consulting physician with a large practice, Wilson was deeply interested in public health and was largely responsible for the establishment of the Delancey Hospital for Infectious Diseases. He was president of the Cheltenham Natural Science Society and spent the summer of his eighty-first year in the Cotswolds searching for neolithic implements. His brother, Sir Charles Wilson, led the Gordon Relief Expedition of 1885, and one of his sons, Edward Adrian, was in medical charge of the Antarctic Expedition of 1910, losing his life with Captain Scott on the return journey from the South Pole.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1918; B.M.J., 1918; Al.Oxon., iv, 1582]
(Volume IV, page 190)
<< Back to List