b.15 November 1862 d.28 April 1937
MD Lond MRCS LSA FRCP(1900)
R. T. Williamson was born at Burnley, the son of John and Elizabeth Williamson, and studied medicine at Owens College, Manchester, qualifying in 1884 and afterwards visiting Vienna. He held junior appointments at the Manchester Royal Infirmary, the Birmingham School of Medicine, the Royal London Ophthalmic Hospital, and the National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic. In 1892 he returned to Manchester to become registrar at the Royal Infirmary, where after ten years he was appointed assistant physician and subsequently physician. He also belonged to the staff of the Ancoats Hospital for a period. He made neurology arid diabetes mellitus his special interests, and for many years lectured on neurological subjects at Victoria University, in the capacity of assistant lecturer on medicine; in due course, he became lecturer on medicine and on school hygiene. His book on Diseases of the Spinal Cord (1908) confirmed his reputation as a leading neurologist. He examined for London University. During the 1914-1918 War he served as a neurologist in the 2nd Western General Hospital, but failing health obliged him to retire in 1917. Henceforward, living at Barnes, Williamson, who was of reserved disposition, devoted himself to general and medical history. He wrote English Physicians of the Past (1923), Before the Norman Conquest (1924), and stories with a Czechoslovakian background. His wife, Emma Carolina Weigand, was a native of Schmalkalden, Thüringen.
(Volume IV, page 425)
<< Back to List