b.15 March 1866 d.17 October 1941
MB BCh Cantab(1896) MA MD MRCS FRCP(1909)
Oliver Williamson was the son of Alexander William Williamson, F.R.S, professor of chemistry at University College, London, and his wife Emma Catherine. He was educated at University College School and at Trinity College, Cambridge, graduating in natural sciences in 1890, and completed his professional training at University College, London, graduating as M.B, B.Ch, in 1896. He held junior appointments at University College Hospital, the Evelina Hospital for Children, the Middlesex Hospital and the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. To the last of these he was elected physician to outpatients in 1900. Several years later he was made assistant physician to the East London Hospital for Children, physician to the Hampstead General Hospital, and assistant physician and joint lecturer on medicine at the Westminster Hospital. In 1921, however, he emigrated to South Africa to become professor of medicine at Witwatersrand University and in 1922 was appointed visiting physician to the Johannesburg Hospital. Williamson returned to England in 1933 and lived for some years at Hastings, acting as consulting physician to the Buchanan Hospital, St. Leonards, and finally at Chislehurst. He married in 1912 Edith Gertrude, daughter of John Adolphus Edington of Golcar, Yorkshire.
G H Brown
[Who Was Who, 1941-50, 1244; Medical Directories]
(Volume IV, page 506)
<< Back to List