b.14 January 1871 d.15 December 1924
MA MB Cantab MRCS FRCP(1911)
The son of S. L. Williamson, J.P, of Grantham, Herbert Williamson was educated at the Leys School and St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he graduated in natural sciences in 1894. He finished his medical training at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, qualifying and winning the Brackenbury surgical scholarship in 1896. He then filled resident posts at his own Hospital and at Queen Charlotte’s Hospital, and, from 1900 to 1901, served as a surgeon in the Imperial Yeomanry Hospital at Pretoria. He returned to St. Bartholomew’s as demonstrator of practical obstetrics and in 1907 was elected to its honorary staff as assistant physician-accoucheur, becoming physician-accoucheur in 1919. Williamson belonged also to the staffs of the Royal Waterloo Hospital for Children and Women, after 1902, and, for shorter periods, to Queen Charlotte’s (1906-08) and the City of London Lying-in Hospital (1908-11). He allowed himself little relaxation from his work and died suddenly while walking near Wendover. He married in 1915 Mrs. Edith Lockwood.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1924; B.M.J., 1924; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1925, 29]
(Volume IV, page 521)
<< Back to List