b.29 August 1838 d.15 December 1912
MVO BM Oxon(1864) MA DM FRCP(1871)
Theodore Williams, son of C. J. B. Williams, F.R.S, F.R.C.P, physician to University College Hospital and pioneer in the use of the stethoscope, was sent to school at Brighton and Harrow. He studied natural science at Pembroke College, Oxford, graduating in 1860, and medicine at St. George’s Hospital and in Paris, taking his B.M. degree in 1864. He then spent two winters abroad, in France and Italy, to benefit his health, and on his return, in 1866, was made demonstrator of anatomy and physiology at St. George’s. A year later he was appointed assistant physician to the Brompton Hospital, which his father, now one of its consulting physicians, had helped to found. He became physician in 1871 and remained on the active staff till 1894. During these years he established his reputation as a leading authority on pulmonary tuberculosis. He was an early advocate of high-altitude and sanatorium treatment and of improved living conditions, factory ventilation and milk and water supplies as means of combating the disease. He was one of the originators of the National Association for the Prevention of Tuberculosis and received the M.V.O. for his part in the building of the King Edward VII Sanatorium, Midhurst. He took a similar interest in the Queen Alexandra Sanatorium at Davos and the Brompton Hospital Sanatorium at Frimley. His principal work was Pulmonary Consumption (1871), written in collaboration with his father.
Williams delivered the Lettsomian Lectures to the Medical Society of London in 1871 and the Lumleian Lectures and the Harveian Oration to the Royal College of Physicians in 1893 and 1911 respectively. The College, of which he was a Censor, was among many institutions to benefit from his generosity, receiving £1,000 for its endowment fund; and it was on his suggestion that Capt. E. W. Williams endowed the Bisset Hawkins Medal in 1896. He was elected an honorary fellow of Pembroke College, Oxford, in 1907. He married in 1868 Mary, daughter of John Gwyn Jeffreys, LL.D., F.R.S., a well-known conchologist.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1912; B.M.J., 1912; Al.Oxon., iv, 1560]
(Volume IV, page 197)
<< Back to List