b.7 April 1917 d.10 March 1973
MA MB BChir Cantab(1941) DCH(1943) MRCP(1949) MD Cantab(1951) FRCP(1970)
Ian Wickes was born in London and educated at Bickley Park School, Gresham’s Holt, Cambridge, and St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, where he began his paediatric training as house physician and chief assistant, interrupted by the war during which he served from 1942 to 1946 as Surgeon-Lieut. RNVR. In 1950 he became consultant paediatrician at the North Middlesex Hospital, Enfield, and a year later to the South Essex Group. He was one of the young paediatricians who, at the end of post-war postgraduate training, introduced paediatrics as a speciality to parts of the country outside university centres. His charm and his bonhomie ensured that he would succeed, and he was able in the end to gain for paediatrics its proper foothold even in the hospital maternity department. Not an academic, he inspired great confidence in the parents of his patients.
Ian Wickes enjoyed the happy childhood of an only son in the wealthy home of a shipping contractor, and the comfortable life that he lived did not encourage him to stretch himself to his full capacity. He was able to indulge his hobby and his major interest in farming. He studied particularly the feeding of piglets, believing that what he learned could be applied to the human situation. His main published work was a history of infant feeding, which appeared in the Archives of Disease in Childhood in 1953.
He married a doctor’s daughter, Monica Francis Thomson, by whom he had one son, who became a doctor, and one daughter.
[Brit.med.J. 1973, 2, 428]
(Volume VI, page 460)
<< Back to List