b.1839 d.3 November 1917
BA Oxon(1861) BM(1866) MA DM FRCP(1873) JP
Thomas Whipham was the first son of Thomas Henry Whipham, a barrister, of Lincoln’s Inn, and was educated at Rugby and Oriel College, Oxford. He rowed in his college boat and took a natural science degree in 1861. He studied medicine at St. George’s Hospital, graduating as B.M. in 1866, and, after filling a house appointment, was made demonstrator of anatomy in 1869 and curator of the museum a year later. He was appointed to the honorary staff as assistant physician in 1872 and became physician in 1876. He retired as consulting physician in 1896, having acted as dean of the School from 1888 to 1893. He examined in medicine for Oxford University and served as Senior Censor at the Royal College of Physicians. Laryngology was his particular interest, but he was an able general physician and teacher. He once held the office of prime warden of the Goldsmiths’ Company. He was a lover of the countryside and of fishing and shooting, and, after retiring to Devon in 1904, added gardening to his hobbies. He married Florence, a daughter of Charles Tanqueray, and had one son. He died at Hatherleigh, Devon.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1917; B.M.J., 1917; Letter from his son, Dr. T. R. C. Whipham, in R.C.P. library; Al.Oxon., iv, 1536]
(Volume IV, page 220)
<< Back to List