b.13 April 1848 d.2 March 1920
BM Oxon(1875) MA DM FRCP(1885)
Samuel West was born at Carlisle, the eldest son of John West, deputy inspector-general of mails in the General Post Office. He was educated at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford, where he graduated with first-class honours in natural science in 1871 and was awarded a Radcliffe travelling fellowship, which enabled him to study in Berlin and Vienna. On George Rolleston’s recommendation, he chose St. Bartholomew’s Hospital as his medical school and, after taking the degree of B.M. in 1875, he received junior appointments there and in due course became, in 1887 assistant physician, in 1903 full physician, and in 1913 consulting physician; he lectured in the School on medicine. He also obtained appointments at the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest and the Royal Free Hospital. He delivered the Bradshaw Lecture to the Royal College of Physicians in 1887 and the Lettsomian Lectures to the Medical Society of London in 1899. He examined for the Conjoint Board and for Oxford, Cambridge, London and Birmingham Universities. West was the author of a handbook for students called How to Examine the Chest (1883) which reached a third edition. His principal work, Diseases of the Organs of Respiration, appeared in 1902.
West’s most valuable services, however, were given to the Royal Medical Benevolent Fund. An honorary office-holder from 1893 continuously until his death, he had the satisfaction of witnessing a twofold increase in the Fund’s income under his management. In the 1914-1918 War, during which he acted as chairman of the Professional Classes War Relief Council, he organised a special War Emergency Fund. West was a man of great abilities and diverse interests, a discerning physician, a practical lecturer, an efficient organiser, and a sympathetic philanthropist. He married Margaret Nanny, daughter of Sir Edward Frankland, K.C.B, F.R.S, and had three sons and three daughters. He died at Wimpole Street, London.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1920; B.M.J., 1920; Al.Oxon., iv, 1527]
(Volume IV, page 312)
<< Back to List