b.1725 d.17th Dec 1786
MD Aberd(1753) Ex LRCP(1756)
William Watts, M.D., was the son of John Watts, junr., of Danett’s hall, co. Leicester, a barrister, who sank a considerable fortune in the South Sea scheme, and died in 1728, aged thirty-two, by his wife Elizabeth, daughter of Nicholas Mosley, esq. As a doctor of medicine, of King’s college, Aberdeen, of 22nd March, 1753, he was admitted an Extra-Licentiate of the College of Physicians 8th September, 1756. He practised in Leicestershire, his native county, and was a man of philanthropic aims and persuasive eloquence. By his periodical addresses to the affluent he laid the foundation of the Leicester infirmary. When Dr. Vaughan, in 1771, received the thanks of the first general meeting of the subscribers for his great care in compiling and digesting the rules and orders for the government of the infirmary, Dr. Watts also received the thanks of the meeting in language of the highest commendation as being the first public projector of that charity. Dr. Watts died 17th December, 1786, aged sixty-one, and is commemorated on a mural tablet in the chancel of Medbourne church, co. Leicester, which bears the following inscription:—
In memory of
William Watts, M.D.,
who resided some years in this place,
where his charitable attention to the sick and needy
claims the tribute of a grateful remembrance.
In friendship few exceed him;
in benevolence none;
his name will be ever respected for the great exertions
he used to establish an infirmary at Leicester,
which he saw happily accomplished,
received the warmest acknowledgments,
and was voted a perpetual governor.
He died December 17th, 1786, aged sixty-one years.
(Volume II, page 204)
<< Back to List