b.15 December 1843 d.28 May 1932
MA MD Cantab FRCP(1883)
Herbert Watney, the son of James Watney of Haling Park, Surrey, was educated at Rugby and St. John’s College, Cambridge. As an undergraduate, he rowed three times for his University — in the losing crews of 1865-67 — and won the Colquhoun cup. He went on to St. George’s Hospital and graduated in 1870, also studying medicine at University College, at Jena and at Würzburg. After holding the customary resident appointments at St. George’s, he was made assistant physician and joint lecturer on physiology. However, shortly after his election as an F.R.C.P. and after acting as an Examiner in physiology for the College and for Cambridge, he retired from his professional career and devoted himself for the remainder of his long life, apart from winter holidays on Madeira, to his estate at Buckhold in Berkshire, where he became known as an expert on afforestation and pedigree cattle and for his generosity in installing a water supply for neighbouring villages. He was an ardent churchman, a supporter of missions overseas and, although a member of a great brewing family, a strict teetotaller. He married in 1873 Sarah, daughter of Rev. Marcus Rainsford; they had two sons and two daughters.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1932; Times, 30 May 1932]
(Volume IV, page 298)
<< Back to List