Lives of the fellows

Alderman Thomas Houghton Waters

b.5 June 1826 d.8 June 1912
MD St And MRCS LSA FRCP(1867)

Houghton Waters was born at Northampton and educated there, at the Collegiate School at Leicester and at Lille in France. In 1848 he was apprenticed to a doctor in London and began to study at Lane’s School of Anatomy and Medicine and at St. George’s Hospital, where he gained many prizes and qualified in 1852. In 1853, after a few months as lecturer on sanitary science and physiology to the Manchester and Salford Sanitary Association, he became senior house surgeon to the Liverpool Royal Infirmary. In 1855 he began private practice and was appointed lecturer on anatomy at the Royal Infirmary School of Medicine and medical officer to the North Dispensary. He was elected physician to the Northern Hospital in 1860, having gained the Fothergill gold medal of the Medical Society of London a year earlier. In 1871 he returned to the Royal Infirmary as physician. A year later he was made lecturer on medicine at the Medical School, and when in 1881 this became part of University College, he was chosen as its first professor of medicine. It was chiefly as a specialist in diseases of the chest that Waters was known, and he contributed articles on this subject to Quain’s Dictionary of Medicine as well as writing his own books, Diseases of the Chest (1868) and Contributions to Clinical and Practical Medicine (1887). Waters was a quiet, scholarly man, fond of travel, and unambitious for personal honours. He married in 1879 Matilda, daughter of William Rotheram, a merchant, of Liverpool, but left no children.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1912; B.M.J., 1912]

(Volume IV, page 160)

<< Back to List