b.1869 d.19 June 1947
BA Oxon(1893) MA DM MRCS FRCP(1908)
Cecil Wall’s family numbered doctors on both sides; his father, Reginald Bligh Wall, practised in Bayswater, and his mother, Irene, was the daughter of a former President of the Royal College of Surgeons, James Luke, F.R.S. He himself went to Bradfield College as a boy, before going up to The Queen’s College, Oxford. From there, having graduated as B.A. in 1893, he went on to the London Hospital, where he qualified in 1897, held the usual resident appointments and was awarded the Andrew Clark scholarship (1899). He then joined the staffs of the Eastern Dispensary and Poplar Hospital. He soon returned to his own Hospital as assistant physician, however, and received the same post at the Brompton Hospital. He lectured at the London Hospital on therapeutics and diseases of the chest, and became consulting physician to both Hospitals when he retired.
Wall gave long and devoted service to the Apothecaries’ Society, and in 1932-33 held the office of master which his father had held before him. From 1934 to 1940 he represented the Society in the General Medical Council. After 1934, too, he was its archivist, a post that allowed him to indulge his tastes as an antiquarian and historian. Among his works were an account of The London Apothecaries: the Society and their Hall (1932), and a History of the Surgeons' Company (1937). He examined for the Society, for Oxford and London Universities, and for the Royal College of Physicians. He delivered the Bradshaw Lecture at the College in 1920 and the FitzPatrick Lectures in 1944-45, and the Thomas Vicary lectures at the Royal College of Surgeons in 1935.
Wall drew most of his consulting practice from the East End and was particularly trusted by Jews. His practice and his teaching were distinguished by a conscientious thoroughness and by a power of acute observation that sprang, perhaps, from his prowess as a marksman, which, in his undergraduate days, had won him the Rifle Association’s bronze medal. His wife was Dorothy, daughter of H. Innes Fripp, and they had a son and two daughters. He died in London.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1947; B.M.J., 1947]
(Volume IV, page 496)
<< Back to List