b.26 January 1911 d.24 December 1972
BSc Manch(1932) MB ChB(1935) MD(1937) MRCP(1938) FRCP(1972)
Born in Blackburn, Henry Wade was the son of Hal James Wade, research chemist and company director of London and Blackburn, and Catherine Melville Fletcher Key, daughter of William Ross Key, consultant engineer of Glasgow and London.
Educated at Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School, Blackburn, Wade entered Manchester University in 1929, graduating BSc in anatomy and physiology in 1932 and qualifying in 1935 with distinction in medicine and pharmacology. He had won the Dauntesey Medical Scholarship, the University medal in pharmacology, the Priestley Scholarship and the Turner medical prize. He obtained his MD with commendation in 1937 for a thesis on a histopathological subject. The MRCP came in 1938.
He served as house physician at Manchester Royal Infirmary in 1935, assistant medical officer at Crumpsall Hospital in 1936 and then did a period of research in the department of anatomy under Professor Stopford, and periods of postgraduate study at three London Hospitals.
In 1938 he became chief assistant to a medical unit at the Royal Infirmary but this was interrupted by service in the Royal Navy. He had joined the RNVR in 1935. He served in the Navy from August 1939 until September 1945, attaining the rank of Surgeon Lieutenant Commander RNVR, which he held for more than five years.
He returned to the Infirmary as chief assistant to a medical unit, until in 1946 he was appointed honorary physician to Salford Royal Hospital, where he served with distinction until his death. The appointment was combined with a similar appointment at the Park Hospital, Davyhulme. His main interests were in chest diseases and diabetes but he prided himself rightly on being a competent general physician. He was in charge of the cardiac department at Salford Royal which he had built up over twenty years.
He had an extensive private practice and was consultant to three separate divisions of Imperial Chcmical Industries. He enjoyed both under- and postgraduate teaching, for he had the ability to explain things in simple terms. He was not a great committee man, but when he did attend he expressed his views pithily and always commanded attention.
He had extensive outside interests, and had in his time been a rally driver. He was an enthusiastic golfer and a keen follower of rugby football, attending a match the day before his sudden death. Anyone meeting him would realise he was a product of the Royal Navy.
He married on May 13th 1940, Margaret Smith Hacking, daughter of Thomas Thurston Walsh, company director of Blackburn (she was born M.S. Walsh. After her father died she changed her name to Hacking by deed poll. This was her step-father’s name). There were no children.
He died at his home, Moss Farm, Bowden, Cheshire.
[Brit.med.J., 1973, 1, 118]
(Volume VI, page 446)
<< Back to List