b.28 October 1861 d.26 February 1944
OBE BA Oxon(1884) BM BCh(1880) MCh(1882) FRCS(1882) MA DM FRCP(1898)
H. G. Turney, the second son of George Leonard Turney of Camberwell, was an undergraduate of Trinity College, Oxford. When he had taken his B.A. degree in 1884, he went on to St.Thomas’s Hospital for his clinical training. He graduated as B.M, B.Ch, in 1880 and took both the M.Ch. degree and the F.R.C.S. diploma two years later. He held resident appointments at St. Thomas’s and the South-East Hospital, New Cross, and in 1893 was elected assistant physician to St. Thomas’s. At different times during his twenty-seven years on its active staff, he lectured on forensic medicine and pathology, and was in charge of the electrical department. He identified himself closely with the Hospital’s interests, largely to the exclusion of other activities; he was dean of the Medical School twice and physician to the attached Nightingale School for Nurses for many years. In the 1914-1918 War he served as a captain in the 4th London General Hospital, and was appointed O.B.E. In later years he acted as physician to the Royal Academy of Music and as medical referee to the Treasury. He was a Censor of the Royal College of Physicians. Turney was a scholarly general physician with a particular interest in diseases of the peripheral nervous system; his teaching was, perhaps, too erudite for the average student, but invaluable to the postgraduate. He and his wife, Margaret Ferguson, formerly a sister at St. Thomas’s, enjoyed spending their holidays in exploring old Italian hill towns. He died in London.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1944; B.M.J., 1944; Al.Oxon., iv, 1451]
(Volume IV, page 407)
<< Back to List