b.20 October 1843 d.2 February 1900
MA MD Cantab Hon MD Durh MRCS FRCP(1881)
Francis Turner was born at Hampstead, the youngest son of Thomas Turner, barrister and treasurer of Guy’s Hospital. He was educated at Clapham School and Trinity College, Cambridge, and was a wrangler when he graduated in 1866. He did his clinical training at Guy’s, qualifying in 1871, and then joined the resident staff of St. Thomas’s Hospital. In 1876 he was elected assistant physician to the London Hospital and in 1891 was made physician. He was a demonstrator of pathological anatomy there after 1883. Turner also held appointments at the North Eastern Hospital for Children and the London Orphan Asylum, Watford, and examined on medicine for Durham University. He was a hard-working and punctilious man but singularly reserved. In 1886 he married a daughter of Bishop MacDougall of the Straits Settlements.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1900; B.M.J., 1900]
(Volume IV, page 284)
<< Back to List