b.23 September 1853 d.9 November 1928
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1886)
Nestor Tirard came of French stock on his father’s side and spent part of his childhood in France. He was educated at King’s College School and King’s College, London, winning scholarships at each stage of his career as a student, and qualified in 1876. At King’s College Hospital he was appointed to several junior posts before being elected to an assistant physicianship in 1885. He became full physician in 1892 and consulting physician on his retirement in 1919. Tirard was also physician to the Evelina Hospital for Children for twenty-six years, to St. Luke’s Hostel, and to the Church Missionary Society. At King’s College he was professor of pharmacology from 1885 to 1900 and of medicine for the next nineteen years. Pharmacology was a major interest in his career: he acted as secretary of the Pharmacopoeia Committee of the General Medical Council from 1895 to 1915 and was closely associated with the 1898 and 1914 editions of the British Pharmacopoeia. His own principal works were Diphtheria and Antitoxin (1897), Albuminuria and Bright's Disease (1899), and a Textbook on Medical Treatment (1900), designed for students. In 1914 he delivered the Bradshaw Lecture before the Royal College of Physicians. During the War of 1914-1918 he was placed in charge of the 4th London General Hospital, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was knighted in 1916 and received the Yugoslavian Order of St. Sava four years later. His last important service was given as a Crown nominee on the General Medical Council from 1922 to 1927. Tirard was a lucid and painstaking expositor, although his views on the scope of the British Pharmacopoeia were regarded as reactionary in some quarters. He was a man of warm-hearted and generous nature who spent his leisure sketching and fishing. He married in 1885 Helen Mary, daughter of Rev. R. S. Beloe, and had one son and two daughters. He died in his Harley Street house.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1928; B.M.J., 1928; Lyle, 413; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1929, 21]
(Volume IV, page 318)
<< Back to List