b.23 September 1839 d.14 January 1924
MD Aberd(1860) MRCS FRCP(1890) JP
T. W. Thursfield was born at Kidderminster, the son of Dr. Thomas Thursfield and his wife Sarah, daughter of Thomas Pardoe, carpet manufacturer, of Kidderminster. He was educated at Kidderminster Grammar School and Lancing, and then apprenticed to his father. He studied medicine at Aberdeen University and, when he took the degree of M.D. in 1860, was the first student, in any faculty, to graduate after the amalgamation of King’s and Marischal Colleges. Having completed his training at London and Paris, he travelled abroad with private patients, visiting Australia, and spent a year in London as physician to a peer. In 1865 he started general practice at Kidderminster, but a year later moved to Leamington. About 1880 he gave up general practice and in 1882 was elected physician to the Warneford Hospital. In his long association with this institution, which in 1911 appointed him consulting physician, he was responsible for effecting numerous improvements and for raising large sums of money on its behalf. He was elected to the Leamington town council in 1885 and officiated as mayor from 1894 to 1897. He took a deep interest in Liberal politics and was known as the "Radical Doctor" in his earlier years. After the split in the party, however, he became a Liberal Unionist and found it necessary to deny allegations that he had turned Conservative — "a base accusation", he would declare, "with no good foundation". Deer-stalking, riding and travelling abroad were his favourite recreations. He married in 1868 Alice, daughter of Matthew Heath of Wolverley, Worcestershire, and had three sons, one of whom was J. H. Thursfield, F.R.C.P.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1924; B.M.J., 1924; Royal Leamington Spa Courier, 18 Jan. 1924]
(Volume IV, page 345)
<< Back to List