Lives of the fellows

John Louis William Thudichum

b.1829 d.7 September 1901
MD Giessen MRCS(1854) FRCP(1878)

J. L. W. Thudichum was born at Büdingen and educated at Giessen and Heidelberg. In 1850 he acted as a volunteer surgeon with the Schleswig-Holstein army in the Danish war. He took his degree at Giessen in 1851 and for a short time practised there. In 1853 he settled in London and a year later obtained the M.R.C.S. diploma. In 1856 he became physician to the St. Pancras Dispensary. However, chemistry, which he had studied under Liebig at Giessen, was his main interest, and from 1858 to 1863 he lectured on it at the Grosvenor Place School of Medicine. In 1865 he was made lecturer on pathological chemistry at St. Thomas’s Hospital. After 1864, under Sir John Simon’s auspices, he undertook a series of "chemical researches to promote and improve identification of disease", which were published in Simon’s annual reports of 1868-72. But the subject was then in its infancy and Thudichum’s work did not meet with general acceptance. He gave his attention in later years to a variety of subjects, including diseases of the nose, the uses of electricity in the treatment of disease, and the composition of wine. He had a large practice.

G H Brown

[B.M.J., 1901; Times, 10 Sept. 1901]

(Volume IV, page 261)

<< Back to List