b.18 March 1875 d.22 August 1959
CVO(1944) KCVO(1951) BSc Lond(1895) MB Lond(1897) MD Lond(1898) MRCP(1901) FRCP(1913)
Francis Thiele, who changed his name to Teale in May 1915, was the son of a German businessman, Hugo Thiele, who had settled in Paddington, and Amelia Olivia Thiele, formerly MacLer. From University College he graduated B.Sc, and from University College Medical School M.B. and M.D. (Lond). On his return from postgraduate study in Berlin and under Ehrlich at Frankfurt-am-Main in 1901 he was appointed assistant pathologist at his former medical school, where he remained in various posts until his retirement in 1938. In 1907 he became lecturer in chemical and clinical pathology; in 1908 lecturer in bacteriology and tropical pathology. He was official lecturer in bacteriology from 1910 till 1935, when he was appointed officer-in-charge of the inoculation department.
After his retirement he acted as honorary pathologist to the Nelson Hospital and honorary bacteriologist to the Radium Beam Institute. In 1913 he was elected a Fellow of University College. He gave the Dobell lectures at the Royal College of Physicians in 1918, and in the following year the Sydney Ringer lecture at University College Hospital. A tenacious research worker, he made important contributions to our knowledge of tetanus, the spread of anthrax, and the reticulo-endothelial system.
Teale, a worldly-wise, dapper little man, widely read and a devotee of Spinoza, was cool and shrewd, but apt to wander occasionally into irrelevancies. In 1905 he married Dorothea, daughter of Philip Felson. They had no family.
Richard R Trail
‡ For the Teale lecture see p. 476.
[Brit.med.J., 1959, 2, 371; Lancet, 1959, 2, 298-9; Times, 24 Aug. 1959.]
(Volume V, page 407)
<< Back to List