b.26 August 1873 d.22 June 1953
BA Cantab(1896) MB BChir Cantab(1900) MD Cantab(1903) MA Cantab(1903) MRCS LRCP(1899) MRCP(1903) FRCP(1914 resigned 1927)
James George Taylor was born at Newgate Street, Chester, the eldest son of James Taylor, L.S.A., L.R.C.P., F.R.C.S., J.P., and Anne Curtis. His father was surgeon to the Chester Infirmary for forty years until 1907. He was educated at Mostyn House, Parkgate, Shrewsbury and King’s College, Cambridge. He read natural sciences, graduating (part i,cl.2) in 1896, and proceeded M.A. in 1903. He then entered Guy’s Hospital, where he was later assistant house surgeon and then house physician to Dr William Hale-White, before returning to Cambridge as assistant demonstrator in the department of anatomy.
His life’s work was to be in his native city, beginning as senior house physician to Chester Infirmary before entering general practice. In 1906 he was elected assistant physician, and later physician to the Infirmary. His academic background, his clinical acumen, and his sincerity and devotion to his professional work brought him the well deserved reward of an extensive consulting practice in Cheshire and North Wales. Nevertheless, he found the energy and time to contribute papers to The Lancet, British Medical Journal, Practitioner, and Clinical Journal.
In due course he was elected president of the Chester and North Wales Medical Society. From 1917 to 1918 he served in the R.A.M.C, with the rank of captain. At Chester Royal Infirmary (as it had been known since 1914) he was largely responsible for establishing the pathology department, creating the children’s ward, and introducing wards for private patients. He played a part in the general life of the city of Chester and was a director of various local companies. In 1927 at the age of fifty-four ill health compelled his premature retirement and he found it necessary to dispose of his practice. In consequence and with much unhappiness, he was compelled to follow the honourable course of resigning his College Fellowship before doing so. In 1906 he married Augusta Mary Clarke-Timperley, of Northwich, by whom he had two daughters.
Richard R Trail
[Cheshire Observer, 26 June 1953; Lancet, 1953, 2, 145.]
(Volume V, page 406)
<< Back to List