Lives of the fellows

John Sykes

b.1816 d.1 April 1901
MD Edin FRCP(1878) JP

John Sykes was born at Paisley, the son of Rev. George Sykes, and was educated at Woodhouse Grove School near Leeds. After an apprenticeship with a Sheffield practitioner, he studied at Edinburgh and Dublin, taking the Edinburgh degree in 1847. He then spent a year visiting French medical schools and as a house-surgeon at Ripon. He settled at Doncaster, where for forty-five years he was connected with the Infirmary as physician and consulting physician. He was physician, too, to the Yorkshire Institute for the Deaf and Dumb and deputy coroner for Doncaster. He was well known as an antiquary and for his charitable benefactions, which included an endowment of six almshouses in York for aged widows.

G H Brown

[B.M.J., 1901]

(Volume IV, page 260)

<< Back to List