b.7 July 1885 d.15 June 1958
KBE(1946) BA Cantab(1907) MA Cantab(1911) MB BCh Cantab(1917) MRCS LRCP(1909) MRCP(1912) FRCP(1927)
Arnold Stott was born in Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire. His father was John Robert Stott, a cotton spinner in Oldham, and his mother Amelia, daughter of Henry Walmsley, described as ‘a man of means'. From Rugby he went up to Trinity College, Cambridge, and then to the Medical School of St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. There he held resident appointments and became demonstrator in pathology and chief assistant in the children’s department until 1912, when enthusiastic work under Sir Thomas Lewis led to his interest in cardiology. Apart from a short time spent at Cambridge in 1917 he served with the R.A.M.C, as a pathologist at a general hospital near Boulogne, and then as a physician to the Ministry of Pensions Hospital at Roehampton until 1919, when he joined the staff of the Westminster and Royal Chest Hospitals.
He was a lucid teacher and, although a hard taskmaster and a severe critic of negligence, had a humorous understanding of inexperience. Later he showed, as a member of the committee on the rebuilding of Westminster Hospital, the marked administrative ability that proved invaluable when he joined the War Office Committee of Consultants in the Second World War. From 1939 he served as a consulting physician to the British Expeditionary Force until 1940, when he worked in the Midlands for the Army and the Emergency Medical Service until his appointment as consulting physician to the Northern Command. In 1946 he was back in London, teaching at Westminster Hospital and involved in the reorganisation of the medical services for the introduction of the National Health Service.
Stott’s lack of interest in private practice was thought by many to be a sign of laziness; it was really due to his wish to maintain the family tradition in his father’s cotton business. Tall, and of good presence with a rather austere air, he was at heart a good companion, and a lover of wine and good food, which he enjoyed particularly at the dinners of the Fellows’ Dining Club of the College and of the Flyfishers’ Club, of which he was president. He was a member of the Cardiac Club from 1927 and in 1950 chairman of the British Cardiac Society when it met at Westminster Hospital. In 1946 he was made a K.B.E, and appointed physician to His Majesty’s Household. He married Emily Caroline, daughter of Alfred Robert Holland, a company director of London, in 1911. They had one son and two daughters.
Richard R Trail
[Brit. Heart J., 1959, 21, 137-8 (p); Brit.med.J., 1958, 1, 1546-7 (p); Lancet, 1958, 1, 1396 (p); 2, 49, 162, 324-5; Times, 17, 19, 24 June 1958.]
(Volume V, page 402)
<< Back to List