b.1 July 1903 d.19 October 1978
BA Cantab(1924) MRCS LRCP(1926) MB BChir(1929) MRCP(1929) MA MD(1940) FRCP(1954)
Cuthbert Stote was born in Swindon. His father was headmaster of the local Church of England school, and his mother was descended from the Quaker family of Hardman in Liverpool. He was educated at Swindon Secondary School and won an open scholarship to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where he was a prizeman in natural sciences and gained an honours BA. His clinical undergraduate years were at the London, where he was awarded the Andrew Clark, Treves, Anderson and other prizes. After graduation in 1926 he was house physician to Sir Robert Hutchison and was elected to membership of the College in 1929. On New Year’s Day 1930 he joined LJ Godson in general practice in Shrewsbury, and within two years he was elected to the consultant staff of the Royal Salop Infirmary as physician in charge of the electrocardiographic department. The following year he became a full physician on the retirement of Willoughby Gardner, and he developed a deep affection for the hospital and a profound interest in its history. The advent of the National Health Service enabled him to devote himself wholly to hospital and consultant practice and he was elected a fellow of the College in 1954.
His great ability as a physician, his tall handsome figure, his courtesy, his charm and his kindness brought heavy professional demands, but he was a man of wide interests and culture. He was keenly interested in archaeology and especially that of the beautiful town of his adoption, which he loved and whose citizens took him to their hearts. He was a founder member, chairman and vice-president of the Shrewsbury civic society, and one of the only two honorary members of the Salop society of architects. His own home, Swan Hill Court House, built in 1761 —1762 and previously the home of the Earl of Bath, was one of the most beautiful houses imaginable and when, in 1966, he was president of the West Midlands Physicians Association he entertained its members there in magnificent style. He was a talented painter, a connoisseur of antique furniture, a capable cabinet maker and a first class photographer. He had a wonderful, but never unkind, sense of humour, and was a brilliant after dinner speaker. After retirement he enjoyed doing pensions appeal tribunals all over the country. Though plagued for many years by renal calculi, he lived to the age of 75, dying from cardiac failure. He married Sheila Davis, the daughter of a London civil servant in 1930. They adopted a son and a daughter.
[Brit.med.J., 1978, 2, 1567]
(Volume VII, page 558)
<< Back to List