b.5 July 1830 d.5 July 1891
BA Oxon(1852) BM(1856) MA FRCS FRCP(1863)
William Stone was the son of Rev. William Stone, rector of Christchurch, Spitalfields, and later canon of Canterbury. From Charterhouse he went up to Balliol College, Oxford, where he took a first class in classics and a second in mathematics and graduated as B.A. in 1852. He studied medicine at St. Thomas’s Hospital, winning the Treasurer’s medal and taking his B.M. degree in 1856. He then paid a brief visit to Trinidad as a medical inspector of health and in 1857 returned to his old Hospital as medical registrar. In 1861 he received the appointments of physician to the Surrey Dispensary and assistant physician to the Brompton Hospital, and in 1868 that of physician to the Clergy Mutual Assurance office. He lectured on forensic medicine at St. Thomas’s and in 1870 was elected assistant physician and lecturer on materia medica and physics; he became full physician four years later. He was a Censor of the Royal College of Physicians and delivered the Croonian Lectures in 1879, the Lumleian Lectures in 1886 and the Harveian Oration in 1887. Stone’s chief contribution to medicine was in the new study of electro-therapy. He practised little, if at all, and electricity provided a major interest in his life. He was pictured in his later years as living a life "mostly to himself, with his kindly old housekeeper, his owls, and his multitudinous apparatus". Yet he was a sociable figure at St. Thomas’s, a racy lecturer, a friend to the students, devoid of pretension and free from ambition. He was an accomplished performer on several musical instruments.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1891; B.M.J., 1891; Plarr, ii, 358; Al.Oxon., iv, 1360]
(Volume IV, page 140)
<< Back to List