b.2 May 1886 d.2 March 1957
BE(1919) MB ChB Edin(1908) MD Edin(1921) MA Oxon(1938) MRCP(1922) FRCP(1934) JP(1932)
William Stobie, the son of William Stobie and Gloranna Kerr, was born in Edinburgh and educated at George Watson’s College and Edinburgh University. In 1920 he moved to Oxford where he became house physician to Sir William Osier and A. G. Gibson at the Radcliffe Infirmary, and spent the rest of his life. In the 1914-18 War he was medical officer to the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry, received two mentions in dispatches, and was appointed O.B.E. (Mil.)
After the war Stobie was appointed physician-in-charge of the Osier Pavilion (for tuberculosis), physician to the Oxford Eye Hospital, and consultant in diseases of the chest to the Radcliffe Infirmary. He was also clinical lecturer in the University of Oxford and cardiologist to the Ministry of Pensions.
He was an enthusiastic and stimulating teacher, but published little. In spite of his heavy professional responsibilities he did a large amount of public work, becoming an alderman in 1930, mayor of Oxford in 1932, and later chairman of the Bench and of the Licensing Justices. Stobie was a short, square man of great physical energy. He represented Edinburgh University at golf, and was a keen Rugby football player. He himself continued refereeing Rugby matches until an age when many men would have given up exercise altogether.
He retired in 1952. He was a formidable expert on committee procedure, and an outspoken critic, but the kindliest and most hospitable of men. In 1914 he married Miss Irene Taylor, of Shelsley Walsh, Worcestershire. He had two sons, whose Oxford Rugby blues gave Stobie great pleasure, and two daughters.
Richard R Trail
[Brit.med.J., 1957, 1, 590; Lancet, 1957, 1, 538, 592 (p); NAPT Bull., 1957, 20, 84 (p).]
(Volume V, page 400)
<< Back to List