b.10 March 1910 d.3 December 1955
MB ChB Birm(1934) MD Birm(1946) MRCP(1934) FRCP(1951)
Ronald St. Johnston, the youngest son of Dr George St. Johnston, was born in Edgbaston, Birmingham, where his father was in general practice. His mother, Caroline Sanderson, was a native of Birmingham, and amongst his forbears was Dr James Johnston, honorary physician to the Queen’s and Children’s Hospitals, Birmingham. Educated at King Edward’s School and at Birmingham University he obtained the Foxwell memorial prize and a distinction in his qualifying examinations. Having held resident posts at the Queen’s Hospital, General Hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital, he served in the R.A.M.C, in the 1939-45 War, rising to the rank of lieutenant-colonel.
In 1946 he was awarded the M.D. for his thesis on gastroscopy, and in the same year was elected to the staffs of the Birmingham United Hospitals and the Manor Hospital, Walsall. An unassuming manner, a lively sense of humour and a remarkable clarity of exposition made him a popular teacher. When able to escape from a busy practice he found relaxation in flyfishing; he was a keen yachtsman, a fine swimmer and a good shot. In 1938 he married Dr Eveline Mary Fisher, of Atherstone, daughter of Dr H. R. Fisher, who was brother to the Right. Rev. Geoffrey Fisher, D.D., Archbishop of Canterbury. He had three daughters and one son. He died at Edgbaston.
Richard R Trail
[Brit.med.J., 1955, 2, 1505, 1570; Lancet, 1955, 2, 1253, 1347.]
(Volume V, page 363)
<< Back to List