b.20 December 1855 d.2 May 1917
CB VD MB Lond(1881) MD DPH Cantab MRCS FRCP(1909)
Edward Squire, son of William Squire, F.R.C.P, received his medical training at University College, London, where he graduated as M.B. in 1881. After acting as house physician in University College Hospital, he was elected in 1882 assistant physician to the North London (later the Mount Vernon) Hospital for Consumption, to which he subsequently became full physician and consulting physician. In the early part of his career he was also physician to the St. George’s and St. James’s Dispensary; later he was physician to the St. Marylebone General Dispensary, which he had helped to found, and the West End Hospital for Nervous Diseases, and consulting physician to the National Sanatorium for Workers at Benenden. The prevention and treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis were his life’s work; he did much to further the sanatorium movement and the after-care of discharged patients, and acted as medical adviser on sanatorium benefits to the London Insurance Committee. A secondary interest arose from his service in the Sudan Campaign of 1885 as senior medical officer with the Red Cross organisation, for which he was awarded the Khedive’s bronze star; he afterwards became leading organiser of the Territorial branch of the R.A.M.C. and commanded its London companies from 1898 to 1904, despatching a unit to South Africa and receiving the C.B. for his work. In general, however, Squire — perhaps on account of his aloof, brusque manner — did not receive due recognition for his arduous, unadvertised labours, and it was only in his last few years that he was free from financial anxiety. He married in 1894 Mary Lilian Youngman and had one son and two daughters. He died in London.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1917; B.M.J., 1917; Letter from Dr. T. D. Lister, in R.C.P. Library]
(Volume IV, page 505)
<< Back to List