b.15 September 1835 d.8 November 1899
BA Oxon(1857) BM(1861) MA DM FRCP(1866)
Reginald Southey was the son of Henry Herbert Southey, F.R.C.P, F.R.S, and a nephew of Robert Southey, the poet. He was educated at Westminster School and Christ Church, Oxford, where he graduated as B.A. with a first class in natural science in 1857. He studied medicine at St. Bartholomew’s and was awarded a Radcliffe travelling fellowship in 1860. Having graduated B.M. a year later, he pursued his studies in Europe, South America and Madeira, returning to receive, in 1864, the appointment of physician to the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest. In the following year he was elected assistant physician, and in 1870 full physician and lecturer on forensic medicine and hygiene, to St. Bartholomew’s. As a consultant, he was principally interested in renal disorders; he was the inventor of Southey’s tubes, at one time largely used for the relief of dropsy due to cardiac or renal failure. In 1883 he resigned from St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, on becoming a commissioner in lunacy. He was Goulstonian Lecturer for 1867 and Lumleian Lecturer in 1881 at the Royal College of Physicians. Southey was a quiet, scholarly man of no great ambition but high abilities. He married in 1864 Frances Marian, daughter of Rev. Charles Watson Thornton, prebendary of Hereford.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1899; B.M.J., 1899; Moore, ii, 575; Al.Oxon., iv, 1330]
(Volume IV, page 155)
<< Back to List