Lives of the fellows

Lewis Albert Smith

b.8 May 1869 d.17 September 1944
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1910)

Lewis Smith, who was born at Chelmsford, the third son of Joseph Alfred Smith, and educated at Scarborough, was associated chiefly with the London Hospital, which he first entered as a student in 1889. He won the Letheby scholarship for chemistry, and qualified in 1895. He was then given a succession of junior posts before being appointed assistant physician in 1902. For many years he taught clinical medicine and, when he retired in 1927, he was elected consulting physician. Smith also served on the staffs of the Eastern Dispensary, the Poplar Hospital, and the King George Hospital in his earlier years. " L.A.", as he was affectionately known, was an admirable teacher of elementary medicine and enjoyed a large and lucrative practice, from which he retired comparatively early in life in order to enjoy his hobbies of travel and fishing. He married in 1904 Ethel, daughter of John Rigby and sister of Sir Hugh Rigby; they had no children. He died at Criccieth.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1944; B.M.J., 1944]

(Volume IV, page 513)

<< Back to List