b.30 December 1848 d.29 April 1907
BA Lond MB BS(1873) MD FRCP(1885)
Markham Skerritt, the son of James Skerritt and his wife Mary Delia Godfrey, was born in Chelsea, where his father owned property on the present site of Markham Square. He was educated at Mill Hill and Amersham Hall School, Caversham, Augustine Birrell and Buckston Browne being among his schoolfellows. At University College, London, he graduated in arts before turning to medicine, of which he proved a brilliant student, winning three gold medals and the Atkinson-Morley surgical scholarship. After graduating M.B., B.S. in 1873, he served as Erichsen’s house surgeon and Jenner’s house physician at University College Hospital. He began his career as a consultant in 1875 when he was elected physician to the Bristol General Hospital, a post which he retained till his death. He lectured at the old Bristol Medical School on pathology and medicine and became professor of medicine, and eventually emeritus professor, at University College, Bristol. He was first dean of the College’s medical faculty, having acted previously as secretary of the Medical School. He delivered
the Bradshaw Lecture at the Royal College of Physicians in 1897, and was treasurer of the British Medical Association for three years. Skerritt achieved his reputation as one of the leading physicians in the west of England entirely by his own efforts. A non-smoker and teetotaller, he was a great believer in the value of open-air exercise, which he sought himself on the hunting-field. He married in 1875 a daughter of John Heelas of Wokingham, by whom he had one daughter.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1907; B.M.J., 1907]
(Volume IV, page 309)
<< Back to List