b.10 November 1909 d.13 April 1967
MB BS Lahore(1931) DTM Calcutta(1935) MD Punjab(1942) MRCP(1946) FRCP(1965)
Amarjit Singh was born in Hoshiarpur (Punjab). His father, S. Achara Singh, was in the State Service and retired as a Magistrate in Patiala State. Singh had his earlier college education in Mahendra College, Patiala, and studied medicine at K.E. Medical College, Lahore, qualifying MB BS in 1931. He won a gold medal in the DTM examination from the School of Tropical Medicine, Calcutta, in 1935. He passed his MD examination from Punjab University in 1942 and took his MRCP, London, in 1946. He was elected a Fellow of the College in 1965.
Amarjit Singh served all his life at Patiala, first as a junior physician and later as a celebrated senior physician of this area. Although in his earlier career he was working as a general physician in the service of the State, yet he was deeply interested in a teaching career and was instrumental in the setting up of a Medical College at Patiala in 1953, of which he was the first Professor of Medicine. Later he became Principal of this institution as well. He was an excellent teacher of medicine and an able administrator. He also produced very good original work on ‘Endemic fluorosis’ which was published in important medical journals of the world - BMJ, Lancet, Quarterly Journal of Medicine, Medicine, and Indian Journal of Medical Research. For his research activities he, with Dr Jolly, was jointly awarded the ‘Watumull’ Prize in 1963.
He married Shrimati Kundan Kaur and they had three children -two sons and a daughter. All three of them became medically qualified. His elder brother, Dr Jagdish Singh, was a popular surgeon of the area and retired as a Director of Health Services, Punjab.
(Volume VI, page 407)
<< Back to List